The Infantry Assault Badge (Infanterie-Sturmabzeichen)
Was introduced on December 20th 1939 by Generaloberst Walther von Brauchitsch, for award to all ranks of non-motorized, infantry and mountain infantry units who participated in three different assaults on three different days. The institution order indicated the criteria for award of the badge was to be effective as of January 1st 1940. Bestowal of the Infantry Assault badge in silver was not extended to motorized infantry personnel so on June 1st 1940 von Brauchitsch introduced the Infantry Assault Badge in bronze for award to all ranks of Motorized Infantry units with the same criteria for award as the silver badge.
Die struck, solid backed, zinc construction badge. The nicely detailed badge features an embossed, vertically oval, oak-leaf wreath with a Wehrmacht style eagle with down-swept wings, superimposed to the top center, encompassing a cut-out rifle with fixed bayonet and sling.
The reverse is well marked a stylized, "AS", within a triangle, indicating manufacture by Adolf Scholze, Grünwald. Repair pin.