The first Luftwaffe ground combat units were formed in the winter of 1941/42 on the Russian front. In February 1942, Brigade Meindl was formed and consisted of five Luftwaffe Field Battalions. As a result of these new ground combat units the Luftwaffe Ground Combat Badge was instituted on March 31st 1942, for award to Luftwaffe personnel who had distinguished themselves in ground combat. Certain criteria had to be met for award of the badge with the main criteria being three separate ground combat actions. On introduction of the Ground Combat Badge, Luftwaffe personnel who had been awarded the Infantry, Panzer or General Assault badges previously were required to exchange them for this badge. Prior to the introduction of this Ground Combat Badge, Flak personnel who had utilized their Flak guns against land or sea based targets three times were awarded the Flak War Badge. These personnel also exchanged their Flak War Badge for the Ground Combat Badge. Unmarked, later, single piece, die struck alloy, solid backed award in the form of a silver washed, vertically oval oak-leaf wreath with Luftwaffe eagle superimposed to top, encompassing a burnished matte grey washed cloud and lightning bolt. The reverse has a solid soldered hinge, a thin round vertical pin and a heavy soldered catch all intact. Not signed with the manufacturer.
From the battlefield, with traces of hard wear. As the pictures shown.